Tuesday 20 November 2018

Kids Vs Nature Surviving Books 1-3 by Karl Steam and Jashua Lagman (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E)




May 2018, Karl Steam, 70-80 pages long, Ebooks, Review copies,

Book Summary
#1 Surviving Moose Lake 
Getting placed in a lousy group for a class assignment is bad enough, but it’s a thousand times worse when you get stranded in the wilderness with that group. Will Josh and three of his sixth-grade classmates have the skills they need to survive the wilderness? Will they all make it home alive?

#2 Surviving Desert View
Josh and three of his sixth-grade classmates find themselves stranded in the wilderness, again. Surviving in a forest was one thing. Can they survive a desert too?

Their situation takes a turn for the worse when they realize that their previous wilderness adventure was not an isolated experience. Not only do they need to complete another mission to get back home, but they need to find a way to prevent any more missions from happening.

#3 Surviving Horse Island
Josh and three of his classmates have proven they can survive a forest and a desert, but what about an island? Can they finish a third mission and make it home alive?

Nayu's thoughts 
Here's a fact which I haven't talked about much if at all on this blog: when I was little I devoured survival books. I was fascinated about how to stay safe if you were stranded in a particular environment, how to make shelter, gather clean water to drink, how to make a fire, and if needed how to get food. I believe my love of survival facts came from being fairly obsessed about reading an  adventure book series by Usborne which had puzzles within the story to solve, like Journey to the Lost Temple


and Agent Arthur's Jungle Journey. 


There were some quite creepy books in the series, I know I had almost most of them at one time, those I didn't have I borrowed from the library over & over! 

That's why I was eager to read the Surviving series, because it sounded so much fun! It truly was. I loved the pictures because they highlighted the danger the classmates got into thanks to the curious app, which varied depending on their location. By the end of book 3 I still don't know much about the app's company, why or how they are sending the children on bizarre missions which become life threatening in a few situations. I had to use my hand to cover up the snake picture *shudders*, but the way that cartoon style images are put against photographic backgrounds worked well and added to the realness of the stories. 

There's a good selection of characters forced on the adventure together: they aren't all necessarily friends to begin with and there are a fair few disagreements on what do to during the adventures, but slowly they tolerate each other. They have no choice but to band together when situations get tough: I like how health issues arising from particular environments and certain animal encounters are explored further once the story ends, making my survival loving side extremely happy. I want to know who the mystery company is! Even when the group do their best to eliminate the app on their phones, they still get whisked off and eventually returned without anyone around them noticing they had gone. These are already on my reread shelf, and I hope they make it to yours too! 

Find out more on Karl's website

Suggested read
For time travel with a little less danger check out Judi Curtin's series which includes You've Got A Friend by Judi Curtin (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E)

No comments: