Tuesday 24 October 2017

Seventeen by Suzanne Lowe (Young Adult)

December 2016, Createspace, 332 pages, Paperback & Ebook

Book summary
 Seventeen, is a young adult fictional story about two sisters surviving in the Australian outback after the accidental release of the deadliest virus ever known causes dire consequences throughout the world. 

Lexi, is a pretty normal 21st century teenager growing up in Perth. Always trying to reach assignment deadlines, going out with friends and enjoying her life. When the sudden outbreak of the fatal virus hits Australia, Lexi’s life and societies future is changed forever. She, like the rest of the world’s children, must now learn to fend for themselves as every adult on the planet is killed.
As the lethal virus rapidly sweeps across the world, Lexi and her sister Hadley, are left alone and vulnerable. Shops are abandoned, government departments shut down, radios and television sets are blank and silent. The internet follows. Police and hospitals cease to function and the sisters are abandoned to a terrifying future, where law-breaking teenagers start to make their life even more miserable.  

Driven from their home by the increasing threat in the city, the girls must steal their neighbours’ car and try to make it to Jasper’s Bay, a small town in the West Australian countryside.  It’s close enough to get there without much petrol, but far enough from the city to hopefully offer some peace and safety. They soon discover that the small community of Jasper’s Bay, is being run by a band of children. Lexi, Hadley, and the loner Jason, whom they picked up along the way, hope they will be accepted by them.  

Within a few days of their arrival, life in Jasper’s Bay hurls more challenges, fears, triumphs and tears than any of them have ever experienced. Food is running short; safety is threatened by a gang of bullies and the virus that has decimated the adult population starts to mutate, with dire consequences for some of the older teenagers.                               
                                                         
Emotions run high as lives are threatened, family members are betrayed and new friendships are forged. Some find themselves attracted to their new friends, others give in to fear and weakness, and at least one teenager dominates with vicious and evil intent.
Through all the drama and conflict, Lexi must draw on her courage and inner strength to help her sister, her new friends and the children of Jaspers Bay as they try to survive the onslaught of the bully’s attack and the underlying threat of the deadly virus.                                                                                                                                                    
 It’s Lord of the Flies for the 21st century.


Check out the book trailer on Youtube!

Nayu's thoughts
This isn't a book review because I currently avoid dystopian like the plauge. However, I liked the concept and felt those of you who read dystopians (which I've reviewed in the past) may like it too! Hence this book feature (of sorts)

Suzanne and I like some of the same authors, J K Rowling known for the famous Harry Potter series and perhaps one  some of you may not have heard of, Stephen Donaldson. I only like the Mordant series of 2 books, which is on my TBR pile because I haven't read them in years, but totally adore because it has a female lead and is a good sci-fi tale (or is it fantasy? Was never quite sure where it belonged). 
Sadly no longer have the books in paperback (loved these covers!) but I do have the ebooks (dull looking covers that I won't put here to save you from them )
Please excuse the formatting issues, Blogger didn't behave when I scheduled this up!

Suggested read 

Suzanne's biography 
I was born in Perth Western Australia and as a young adult, grew up in the small country town of Tom Price in the outback of Western Australia. The summers were often very hot and dusty and I would spend my weekends with my friends, swimming in the cool water of the gorges, trying to escape the heat. As I grew to adulthood I travelled extensively throughout Australia and grew to love the very unique and diverse landscapes of the country. I have a Bachelor of Science Degree and am a keen photographer. 

My favourite genres are definitely sci-fi and fantasy and I particularly enjoy watching movies and reading books with dystopian style scenarios. Some of my favourite authors include, John Marsden, Suzanne Collins, Anne Rice, Stephen Donaldson and of course J.K Rowling.

My novel, Seventeen, came about as I wanted to write a story for young adults that featured two sisters having to survive in a world that was suddenly vastly different from one they had grown up in. One without adults or any rules. This was a scenario that my own two teenage daughters would often discuss and theorise about at the dinner table. 

I currently live in Perth with my husband, two teenage daughters and our cat Abby.

I am a member of the Society of children’s book writers and illustrators and the Australian Society of Authors. Seventeen is my first novel.

You can buy Seventeen in many places including Amazon.com and Amazon UK

No comments: