Friday 18 August 2017

Ollie's Treasure by Lynn Jenkins and Kirrili Lonergan (Children's, Picture book, 9/10E)

 June 2017, EK Books, 32 pages, Hardback, Review copy 

Summary from EK Books
Ollie’s Treasure is tale of mindfulness for young, developing minds. Ollie’s grandma sends him a treasure map that promises to lead him to ‘something that will make him happy always’.

Of course, Ollie thinks this ‘something’ will be a toy of some sort, but he gets both a rude shock and a big surprise when his treasure turns out to be him!


Nayu's thoughts  
While at times I thought that Ollie looked a bit scary (I've seen similar looking creatures on children's TV which for some reason give me the heebie geebies), this is a wonderful book about finding ways to appreciate the world and put worries into perspective. In the acknowledgements mindfulness is mentioned which totally appropriate as that's what the clues teach Ollie, they are coping mechanisms for the crazy world we live in. 

I loved how his grandmother sneaked about keeping an eye on his progress without Ollie finding out, and that with a bit of guidance Ollie realised happiness is a state of mind, rather than being something physical item. I loved treasure hunts when I was little, and did them both with and without my older sibling, so Ollie's adventure reminded me of that. I hope it inspires readers to have their own treasure hunt! 

Find out more on Kirrili's website.

Suggested read 

No comments: