Sunday 28 May 2017

Taken by Rosemary Hayes (Young Adult, Thriller, 9/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

January 2017, Ransom Publishing, 200 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: some teen romance, mystery, stalking, kidnap, 

Book summary
Four years ago, Kelly s dad disappeared, apparently having taken his own life. His family are left devastated and are only just beginning to move on. Then, one day, Kelly thinks she sees him again. It is only a glimpse - and it can t have been him - but it is enough to bring back all the painful memories. Why did he kill himself? What was so terrible that he couldn t go on? The thoughts won t leave her alone. Kelly confides in her friend Jack and as theytry to find out more about Dad s past they unearth a confusing mass of inconsistencies and unanswered questions. Gradually they are sucked into a murky world where nothing is as it seems. They are out of their depth; someone is trying to stop them finding out more and they are in real danger. Who is following them? Who can they trust? And why does Gran refuse to talk about Dad?

Nayu's thoughts 
Having read some of Rosemary's past my interest grew at Kelly's mysterious dad's disappearance. As wrong as it can sound I love tales where characters are followed and Stuff Happens. That is in part why the book didn't get a perfect grade. As curious as I was about Kelly, as much as I loved the insight to her small family, how she slowly grew closer to her brother Nat, the semi-weird relationship she has with her mum, having to realise her dad is mostly gone (or is he?), for my personal tastes it was a bit too slow paced. I feel when Stuff Happens could have been a bit sooner and more drawn out. 

What happens is awesome, and I hadn't guessed all that accurately with the little clues I had. Kelly has her very good friend with her, and slowly becomes friends with Jack which both helps and jeopardizes them both. I love how the stalking was done, and the reason behind it gave me more chills than when it happened. Kelly has to grow up fast again-the first time was when her dad disappeared, and she gains a lot of inner strength and confidence because of what she experiences. I'm seriously hoping this isn't the end of her adventures because there's potential for a lot more Stuff To Happen. 

Her Gran is one of my favourite characters, both how she reacts to things and how people react to her. I didn't want the book to end because of her! There is a bit of mild romance, which was sweet in its own way. Definitely one for the reread pile! I'm eager to try and pick up hints earlier on now I know what happens. 

Find out more on Rosemary's website.

No comments: