Monday 22 May 2017

One Silver Summer by Rachel Hickman (Children's, 11 years +, 10/10E)

This may just be the proof copy cover - so pretty!
25th May 2017, Old Barn Books,  272 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Book Summary
After losing her mom in an accident, Sass is sent to live with her uncle in England. Far from her native Brooklyn, the rocky shores and crumbling castles of Cornwall seem like the perfect place to hide her grief. And when she stumbles across a silver horse in a sunlit meadow, Sass feels a surprising sense of peace . . . only to have it broken by a boy. 

Arrogant and distrustful, the horse's trainer, Alex, doesn't approve of the trespassing American. Yet after a few chance meetings, he begins to feel a connection to the curious girl with the sad eyes, and offers to teach her to ride. Sass never expected to feel anything again--least of all love--but the lessons reveal a far different Alex, and soon their friendship turns into something more.
 
But Alex has a secret--a bombshell about his family that could shatter Sass's trust . . . and force him to abandon the one girl who made him believe in himself.

Nayu's thoughts 
First of all apologies to Rachel-I skipped the non-Sass parts because I wasn't in the mood for them. I thought Alex was going to be a ghost - perhaps then t wouldn't have been such a huge surprise when his true identity was revealed. I had no idea it was that type of story which I enjoy reading. I was a bit worried the story would be too sad, with Sass's distress over losing her mother very obvious. I enjoyed how she slept where her uncle works, who has secrets of his own that had better be revealed further in a book 2!

I spied several plot threads heavily hinting at a sequel with plenty of info for misunderstandings to happen. Sass's life will certainly be different after the way this book ends. I liked that she had Harry the cat to keep her the a little distracted, although I didn't see him that much at the end. Pets are so very awesome when life is tough I may have forgotten seeing him, I was under the influence of mega strong medicine when I read it.

I loved how Sass's uncle tried to be there for her despite her keeping him at arm's length, the moments when she lets him in are touching. And yes her romance part of the tale is sweet and fairytale like. I'm not saying more than that! I will be rereading it for sure ^o^

No comments: