Wednesday 30 November 2016

Dangling by A Thread by Lea Wait (Cozy Mystery, 10/10E)




Love the gorgeous cover!
October 2016, Kensington Publishing, 304 pages, Ebook & Paperback, Review copy 

Content: 1 scene involving blood, a murder, generosity, community spirit, some humour

Summary from Kensington Publishing
The Mainely Needlepointers are about to learn that no man is an island—especially when greedy developers want his land . . .

Hermit Jesse Lockhart lives alone on King’s Island, three miles east of Haven Harbor, Maine, where he’s created a private sanctuary for the endangered Great Cormorants. But when a wealthy family wants to buy the island and Jesse’s cousin Simon petitions for power of attorney to force him to sell, Jesse is the one who becomes endangered.

Mainely Needlepointer Dave Perry, who befriended Jesse in the VA hospital, rallies the group to his defense. Angie Curtis and the ravelers stitch “Save the King’s Island Cormorants” pillows and sell T-shirts to pay for Jesse’s legal counsel. But tragically, on a visit to the island, Angie finds Jesse dead. Now the search is on for a common thread that can tie the murdered man to his killer . . .


Nayu's thoughts 
It had been a while since I read a book in this series, but it didn't take long for my forgetful memory to remember why I love Angie's world. Her passion for sewing is a joy to read, especially as it builds a solid community who help each other out in times of need which is true for this book. While I think the threat of murder and gemeral danger was a smidge less than the other book I've read of hers, it was the community spirit that I enjoyed. 

I like the way Jesse's solitude is in stark contrast to the friendly help everyone atttude Angie, her grandmother, and their friends have. Friendship is central in their lives, and even if they aren't keen on someone they are still polite to them. While I struggled to work out the clues in the chapters' sweing quotes (I'm positive that's why they are there) I spotted when things weren't as they seemed in the plot, and accurately guessed when trouble would occur, even though I didn't know who the culprit was. 

I loved the addition of kittens, which brought a fun element to the story and created a few minor issues for Angie. You can never have too many animals in a tale! It made me wish I'd known my rescue cat when she was a young kitten. Having a friend near Portland made me smile every time it was mentioned. From the description of yummy food and community spirit it's a place I'd love to visit one day. 

Angie seems settled, despite her return to the area only meant to be temporary. The ties she is strengthening with her grandmother and friends, and her new furry companion suggest she isn't going anywhere. More than the last book in the series that I read it feels like everyone is taking Angie seriously as she searches for details on her own to try and figure out who killed Jesse. She knows better than to ask certain people direct questions, she manages to get in situations where she can subtly find out information, which often prompts more questions than she bargained for. I'd have liked the poisoning to be drawn out a little longer, and maybe be a bit more sinister, but I loved the book apart from that point. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Trixie in Angie's life next year when the next book in the series comes out! 

Find out more on Lea's website

Suggested read


 

No comments: