Thursday 28 April 2016

Night Study by Maria V Snyder (Fantasy, 10/10E, Short 'n' sweet review)

February 2016, Mira Ink, 448 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Content: some romance, violence, 

Summary from Amazon (not an affiliate)
 Ever since being kidnapped from the Illiais Jungle as a child, Yelena Zaltana's life has been fraught with peril. But the recent loss of her Soulfinding abilities has endangered her more than ever before. As she desperately searches for a way to reclaim her magic, her enemies are closing in, and neither Ixia nor Sitia are safe for her anymore.

Nayu's thoughts
Still far too many non Yelena chapters like the previous book (read but not reviewed), but oh boy the story blew my mind, despite guessing a major plot arc from the start... Mwahahaa! You are in for a treat as Yelena's adventures continue. Maria manages to keep raising the stakes with each book, having me worried not just about Yelena who is undeniably my favourite character but also some side characters, who I only realised how much I liked them when great peril befalls them. No I'm not saying who! 
 
There are a couple of breathing spaces in the book, but since most chapters had cliffhanger endings I would stop in the middle of a chapter when I needed to do something in real life. That plus I can only cope with tragedy in small doses, meant it took a few days to read this, having lighter novels to contrast Yelena's plight. I possibly prefer the earlier books only because they were pure Yelena, not using other point of views, but that's my personal preference. I am absolutely looking forward to the next book! 
 
Find out more on Maria's website

No comments: