Sunday 13 September 2015

Help with Homework Mental Maths 7+ (Children's, 7 years +, Non-fiction, 10E/10E)

July 2015, Autumn Publishing, 36 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: maths problems, humour, colourful illustrations 

Summary from Autumn Publishing
Refreshed with new content and artwork to support the September 2014 National Curriculum changes, these workbooks link school and home learning for pupils in Year One. With an additional guide to help parents with the curriculum changes, the workbooks offer a fun, interactive way to further school learning at home.

Nayu's thoughts     
This book provides a really fun way to learn and consolidate maths skills. I don't have a child to test it on, but I do have myself. The stickers for each page make completing problems fun. Maths concept are repeated in different ways so the reader can have lots of practice. The colourful illustrations which made me smile do make the maths more fun than if it was solid text/only black and white. 
Penguin, fish and ladybird fun on these pages!

Stickers galore!
The sheer variety and colour variations of the stickers are impressive!
I'm not good at mental maths, especially when I have what I call brain fog/fuzzy head when tired, so it felt like quite an achievement when I was able to work out the answers. (That's why although I don't have a reader of the target age I'm still able to test it accurately). This is a perfect book for those who homeschool, as well as for those who need extra practice at what can be a hard subject to master. 

Available at many bookstores including NRC affiliate Foyles

Suggested read 
Although it might be a little outdated, here's a fun Maths read from 2012:  Number Rhymes Tens and Teens by Opal Dunn & Hannah Shaw (Children's, Picture book, Non-fiction, 10E/10E)

No comments: