Thursday 30 July 2015

Fangs by Malorie Blackman and Jamie Smith (Children's, 7 years +, 9/10E)

 
March 2015, Taramind, 80 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: spiders, insects, dog, minor major peril (that does make sense), humour

Summary from Tamarind
 Poor Fangs, the tarantula, is terribly lonely and bored with her life in the pet-shop. So when Nathan takes her home, she's more than excited about her new life. But before Nathan can introduce his new pet to his family, he's going to need her help to convince them that spiders aren't just creepy and crawly . . . They're beautiful and brave too!

Nayu's thoughts 
I have to say I hadn't expected all the other creepy crawlies to be in the story, especially at a certain scene which freaked me out a bit since it was if it was from one of my nightmares. I did like the ladybird who popped up from time to time. This is not a book for those who don't like creepy crawlies! 

I had no problem with Fang, I thought she was beautiful, and I loved the way the story used her point of view. I had a suspicion as to how Nathan's mother would be won around, and was happily surprised in the method used to make Fang likeable. 

Find out more on Malorie's website

Available from bookshops including NRC affiliate Foyles

Suggested read
Another read with a boy and animals is Jesper Jinx and the Sneezing Season by Marko Kitti (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E)

No comments: