Saturday 21 January 2012

A Knowing Look and Other Stories by Rebecca Emin (Short story anthology)

(I like the strong colours here)

Out now, Available as eBook and paperback  
Review copy 

Themes: meaningful messages, reflection, human failings and strengths, life's twists and turns, unfaithfulness, bereavement, birth, occasional bad language, mild romance

Book blurb
From the heat of the African plain to the chilled winter air in rural England, this book will take you on a journey via a collection of emotive short stories. 

Nayuleska's thoughts
I rarely read short stories, and was happy to find that I enjoyed them all. There were underlying meanings in each story, which often only became clear once the end was reached. I enjoyed having topics to ponder on and see the sheer diverse nature of life unravel. This gets a solid 8/10 from me. 

You can find out more about this anthology over at Rebecca's website, including reasons why she self-published this while having a publisher for other work. 

Suggested read
Another book which made me think about contemporary issues is Words in the Dust by Trent Reedy (Young Adult)


No comments: