Monday 8 March 2010

Twisting the Truth by Judy Waite


February 2010, Barrington Stoke
96 pages, Paperback
Review Copy

Interest age: 14 years +, Reading age of 8
YA, Thriller

Cushions: 5
Paperclips: 0.5
Smiles: 2
Tissues: 2
Yunaleska's recommended rating: ♥♥♥♥♥

Summary from Barrington Stoke

Elsa tells herself that it was just a little white lie - all to get her mum's boyfriend off her back when she was late home. But now Amy, a girl from school, has gone missing and a man who may be innocent has been arrested. Can Elsa get herself out of this mess? And who really abducted Amy? Gripping thriller

Never judge a book on how many pages it has. This thin little number had me on the edge of my seat with a tissue in my hand.

Elsa is envious of Amy, who by all appearances is the popular girl of the class. The girl who everyone wants to be with and be like. Amy is liked by Steve. Elsa thinks she likes Steve. That's where the envy comes in. It doesn't help that Elsa's mother is seeing someone new. That will make Elsa feel out of sorts, a feeling which will reflect on her outlook in life, and other people.

I love the original idea of an "unfair fairy". There are times in life when an unfair fairy seems to strike often. It reappears throughout the book several times, always bringing about a smile from me.

How the first chapter ends tugged on my heart. I wondered if the emotions that Elsa is burying deep inside her will come out in an unexpected and unwanted form. (They don't...not obviously. But perhaps the lying is a call for attention).

I got a shiver down my spine when she realised someone was out there watching her.I laughed even harder when I discovered the identity of the person. I like how the tension builds up, then dissipates, then builds up unexpectedly again.

I like how the instant messenger text used by Elsa and her friend is in a different font and is written in realistic text speech.

I was worried that her lie would get an innocent person into trouble. I don't know much about numberplates but I dont't think there are many cars with the same combinatiion of the second part. Thankfully that didn't happen. Worse, it aided the sicko involved in the abduction.

My stomach flipflopped when the police came round to see Elsa. The news they share was something I didn't see coming. She's frightened for more reasons than just lying to the police.

When she makes it to school not many of her friends seem to pay attention to what they are saying. The awful thngs they are discussing might actually happen to the poor girl who was abducted. Elsa doesn't feel that great about it, yet somehow she can't go back on her lie. It's strange that by lying she is able to save someone. (Generally it is a bad thing to lie. But when you're growing up...and even when as an adult lies sometimes feel like the best thing at the time.)

I liked how Elsa's imagination gets the better of her and she makes the man she saw into a monster. If only he was one.

I stared feeling rather stunned at the book as I read it. The huge plot twist is pretty mega, it crept up without me catching sight of it from the corner of my eye. I'm so scared for Elsa that my stomach is doing lots of flipflopping.

My only small grumble is that the story ended without revealing the moment when the truth was revealed to everyone, including the police. I can imagine what happened, but it would have been nice to have that extra bit of closure. Just having Elsa call the police on the phone was a tiny let down.

Other than that, I really loved this book. I'm definitely eager to check out more by Judy Waite.

Judy Waite can be found on her website here.

Check out Ghostscape by Joe Layburn

No comments: