Tuesday 22 November 2016

A New York Year and A Texas Year by Tania McCartney and Tina Snerling (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)


 October 2016, Exisle Publishing, 32 pages each, both Hardback & Review copies

Summary for A New York Year from Exisle
Meet Madison, Alexander, Fabian, Sophia, and Jayla — New York kids representing a blend of culture and race that typifies this impressive state. They’ll take you through a year in the life of New York’s kids, from celebrations, traditions and events, to the everyday way of life and the little things that make childhood so memorable.

Summary for A Texas Year from Exisle
Meet Luis, Alexis, Christopher, Ethan, and Mia — Texan kids representing a blend of culture and race that typifies this amazing state. They’ll take you through a year in the life of Texan kids, from celebrations, traditions and events, to the everyday way of life and the little things that make childhood so memorable. 

Nayu's thoughts 
Admittedly I owe a review for a previous book in the series, A Scottish Year, because I planned to do another photo style review that I did for the 1st book I reviewed in the series, An English Year,  but that is heavily time consuming so hasn't been a priority (sorry). However it is as awesome as these two books are! 

Unlike previous UK based countries these look at 2 distinctive states in America. I'm now used to the slightly strange to me cheeks, which is great as I adore the girls' outfits, they look colourful and upbeat. Just like the UK themed books these follow a few children from different backgrounds and ages in a year, looking at some things which are the same like national festivals and holidays and school stuff, as well as things which are unique to each state.

For New York I loved seein the names of museums and central park which I've read about in ficion books, and I did get teary eyed over the mention of remembering 9/11. I remember having my tv show stopped and news of the 2nd plane going into the tower live, so it's not something I can forget. Naturally Central Park gets mentioned, as does the Statue of Liberty.

For Texas naturally they have dude ranches and horses, which I have read several fiction stories about so I already know how they work. There's also an adorable hamster which is shown as a pet then making it's way to an event (I think it even had a costume at that point). 

It's amazing how much of a feel for eah state I got from reading these books. I especially love the part at the back which has facts about each state inclduing the state flower and motto. I hope more states are explored, although there are a lot so I doubt all could be covered. I'd love Alaska to be the next book! 

Find out more on Tania's website.

No comments: