Tuesday 4 December 2012

99 Dead Snowmen by Tony De Saulles (Humour, 10/10)



October 2012, Headline 
128 pages, Hardback
Review copy 

Themes: dark humour (involving death), evil bunnies, many ways of dying, occasional adult humour 

Summary from Headline

Stan the Snowman does not have the best of luck. In fact, it seems like everyone is out to get him. Beset by enemies on all sides, he is viciously attacked by an extraordinary array of things - old ladies, robins, super models, rabbits, hot water bottles, daffodils, chocolate flakes, evil cannibal snowmen... 

Nayuleska's thoughts 

I can freak out easily over things, which is why people who know me find it strange that I have a dark sense of humour. 99 Dead Snowmen made me laugh a lot. I possibly shouldn't have read it while feeling ill as some of the ways Stan died made me feel more than a little queasy, but it really cheered me up. The ways he dies are really inventive - an awful lot of work has gone into this (Hopefully that doesn't sound condescending or anything since all books involve hard work). Some of the deaths I wasn't surprised at, while others I'd never have thought of. My favourite deaths involved the bunnies. I felt that the positive ending would help relieve any distressed readers as to what happens to Stan. 

Be sure to check out Tony's website

Suggested read 

Definitely try out Return of the Bunny Suicides by Andy Riley for more dark humour with my favourite animal. 









No comments: