Sunday 18 July 2010

Drop Zone by Andy McNab

1st July 2010, Random House Children's Books
320 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Children's, Thriller, 12+

Cushions: 4
Daggers: 3
Smiles: 3
Nayuleska's recommended rating: ♥♥♥♥

Summary from Random House Children's books 

Ethan Blake is seventeen and desperate to escape from his dead-end life. When he sees someone B.A.S.E. jump from the top of his block of flats, it changes the way he sees the world for ever.

Soon, Ethan is caught up in the adrenaline-fuelled world of skydiving. He's a natural, so it's no surprise when he's invited to join an elite skydive team, but is he signing up for more than just jumping out of planes?

The team's involved in covert military operations - missions that require a special kind of guts, missions so secret even MI5 denies all knowledge.

Once again I am drawn to a book where people like to drop themselves from planes. This time the main character isn't doing it to over come a fear, but because it's part of his job. At least that's what Ethan thinks it is.

It is clear that Andy McNab knows what he is talking about in this story. All the details about skydiving is written in a way that the reader can understand. Amongst this Ethan's slightly troubled home life plays a part in the story, showing why he is so desperate to do something with his life. I got carried away with the sheer happiness of Ethan finding something is so passionate about in life. There's nothing quite like the adrenaline rush when you find something that you can rave about (yes as a book reviewer I love books! And also anime and video games). He makes both friends and enemies at the jumping centre, enemies who play a role later on in the story which puts Ethan in real danger.

I have to admit I was excited about learning when Ethan goes on a mission. The story disappointed me a little because this only happened right near the end. There was a long build up with Ethan's training before he got told the truth about the operation. When this did happen, it was full of action and I loved every minute. I just wished it had happened either a little earlier, or that the book could be a bit longer. It would be nice if there was a second book about Ethan, because I feel there's so much more of his story to be told. I liked having a glossary of terms, although as a personal preference I would prefer it at the end rather than at the beginning where it looks a little overwhelming.

I believe this was the first Andy McNab book I've read, and I'll definitely be on the look out for more by him.

The other book full of people crazy enough to jump out of planes is To The Extreme by David Gatward

No comments: