Friday 13 January 2012

The Cupcake Diaries 1: Katie and the Cupcake Cure by Coco Simon (Children's, 7 years +)


5th January 2012, Simon and Schuster 
160 pages, Paperback
Review copy 

Before I get to the review, I have to discuss this awesome cover. I adore all things cute, have an odd passion for cherries (it's how they look which is fun, plus they taste great) and I adore cupcakes. It's not hard to see why I love the cover so much that I prop it up on my dresser so I can see it every day and smile. 

Themes: life at middle school, losing friends, mean girls who tease a person for being themselves, finding new friends and figuring out life, lots of humour and a few sad parts. 

Summary from Simon and Schuster
Sometimes starting from scratch turns out to be the icing on the cupcake. 

It's Katie Brown's first day at her new school and she's already feeling miserable. Her best friend Callie has been invited to join the Popular Girls Club and Katie's been left out in the cold. Is there an Unpopular Girls Club she can join? The only thing that makes Katie feel better is the special cupcake her mum packed her for lunch, just biting into the sweet treat stops her feeling so sad. And even better, the delicious looking cupcake attracts three other girls who are also feeling a bit lost at the new school. And as the girls' friendship grows they decide to start their very own cupcake club - sharing and making their own special recipes! 

Nayuleska's thoughts
I relate to Katie on every issue she deals with. I love how unicorns feature in her wardrobe. At school I changed who I was because of mean girls, which isn't a wise idea. Katie's thoughts are hilarious, especially when she's with Callie in chapter 7. Slowly she builds her self-esteem up, making her a more confident person. It was especially nice to see her mother playing a big part in her life, giving suggestions on how Katie can solve the problems. The actual cupcake cure concept is a sweet idea too (pun not intentional)Sadly it's not served with a cupcake but this gets 10/10 from me. 

Suggested read
For another friends filled read, check out The Mayfair Mysteries 1: The Case of the Ruby Necklace by Alex Carter


No comments: